Listen to Lead provides an opportunity for the community to meet and share reflections and reactions to selected podcast episodes that explore the nuances of gender and leadership. A theme will be chosen for each meeting, reflected in the podcast episodes selected. Episodes will be available through most major podcast platforms including Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and Stitcher. Past selections and discussion guides are listed below; check our calendar for future sessions.
All members of the Scripps College community are invited to participate in Listen to Lead discussions.
Leaders feel the strain like everyone else. How do we bounce back in the face of (seemingly) overwhelming obstacles? Join us as we listen to:
- Birnbaum Women’s Leadership Network: “Failure, Resilience, Persistence” (Original air date 11/17)
- Women Amplified: “How to Cultivate the Resilience We Need Now” (Original air date 3/23/20)
What is the role of allyship in social justice? What does it mean to be an ally and work with allies? View the discussion guide. We listened to:
- Unpack That, NYU Center for Multicultural Education: “Allyship” (Original air date 4/12/18)
- The One You Feed: “Jamila Wilson an Allyship and Activismhat It’s Like to Be the Only Woman in the Room” (Original air date 6/22/20)
- Blonde Files: “Ayana Lage – Racism, Allyship and Social Media’s Awakening” (Original air date 6/10/20)
“The Only Woman in the Room”
What is it like to be the only woman in the room? Or the first and only of your kind at a company or in a particular kind of job? View the discussion guide. We listened to:
- The Art of Speaking Up: “Navigating Male Dominated Workspaces” (Original air date 10/9/18)
- Tilted: “What It’s Like to Be the Only Woman in the Room” (Original air date 12/4/18)
- TED Talk: “Stacey Abrams: 3 Questions To Ask Yourself About Everything You Do” (Original air date 11/18)