The Laspa Fellowship is a prestigious leadership enrichment training that aligns with the Center’s leadership model. Forming a community through a unique cohort experience, Laspa Fellows will explore and practice specific leadership skills through hands-on, collaborative learning, case studies, and networking before showcasing their insight in a culminating capstone presentation. The Laspa Fellowship offers students a unique opportunity to reflect on their leadership profile and prepare for leadership roles in their public and private lives.
Laspa Fellows are recognized as student leaders in the community. Upon conclusion of the program, Fellows will be eligible for a $250 leadership award to be used towards a summer internship or service project. Laspa Fellows also receive priority consideration for other Laspa Center grants and awards including the We Act Grants as well as Leadership Immersion Treks and similar opportunities, and will receive VIP invitations to the annual Leadership Summit and select campus engagements.
The Laspa Center is committed to providing a collaborative, hands-on learning environment that allows participants in the Laspa Fellowship program to:
- Explore leadership styles and competencies to better understand how they might apply their own strengths personally, and in their social and academic environments;
- Navigate communication styles and organizational dynamics through a leadership lens;
- Challenge their own notions of leadership in action through diverse perspectives with staff, peers, and community leaders; and
- Identify opportunities to challenge leadership norms and develop skills that promote self-reflection and positive change.
The Laspa Fellowship runs in tandem with the academic year. Following a program orientation early in the fall semester, the cohort meets approximately five times each semester. The in-depth monthly sessions allow opportunity for both connection and reflection.
Attend an information session to learn more about the program, meet the Laspa Center staff, and get insight on the application process. Register via Handshake.
This program is open to all Scripps College students with a demonstrated commitment to leadership and personal growth. It is suitable for all majors and class years. Due to its highly experiential nature, it is limited to 24 participants to maintain a productive learning environment.
The Laspa Center will respect and follow safety guidelines set forth by Scripps College to prevent further spread of the Coronavirus. This may result in virtual programming or other comparable means of social distancing.
In addition to general demographic information, applicants will be asked to address the following short essay questions:
- Share your definition or understanding of leadership.
- What do you hope to learn from the Laspa Fellowship?
- The success of this program relies heavily on individual participation. How do you hope to contribute to the cohort experience?
Applicants must be willing and able to attend and participate in the duration of the program. Priority will be given to students who come recommended by faculty, staff, or previous Laspa Fellows.
FMI: [email protected].