Veteran Applicants

Two pink roses

Scripps College proudly supports students who are veterans of the United States Armed Forces and the children of all veterans. Scripps College is pleased to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

The Application Process

  • Student veterans should follow the same application procedures as other applicants for admission as first-year students or transfer students.
  • Apply for benefits (form 22-1990) or submit a change of program form (22-1995) at
    • The application review process may take up to and possibly exceed 6 weeks.
    • The VA will mail your Certificate of Eligibility directly to YOU, not the college.
  • Submit the following to Office of Admission
    • DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
    • Certificate of Eligibility, Transfer of Entitlement Letter or 1905
  • If applicable, include transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended, including your JST.
  • Complete the FAFSA and CSS/PROFILE

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a partnership between Scripps College and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).The program is designed to help students supplement their Post 9/11 Veteran’s Benefits. Veterans and children of eligible veterans, who meet the eligibility requirements and whose education expenses (tuition and fees) exceed the 2019-20 maximum of $24,476.79 are eligible to receive additional funds from Scripps College through the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Scripps College supports up to 10 Yellow Ribbon Program-qualified students each academic year. Yellow Ribbon qualified veterans may receive up to $10,000 per year from Scripps College and the Department of Veterans Affairs will match at the same amount and issue payment directly to Scripps College. These additional VA funds are provided without an additional charge to your Post 9/11 Veteran’s Benefits entitlement.

Eligibility Guidelines

Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate (based on service requirements) or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100% rate). Therefore, you may be eligible if:

  • You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
  • You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
  • You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the VA benefits based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.

Eligibility for renewal is determined by the following factors:

  • Student must have remaining entitlement under the Veteran Benefits.
  • Student must remain in good academic standing.
  • Scripps College must continue to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

NOTE: The above information on eligibility was obtained from the Department of Veteran Affairs website.  (  The VA determines eligibility, not Scripps College.

Yellow Ribbon Application Process

  • After receiving an offer of admission to Scripps College and if the eligibility requirements above have been met and you have been issued your Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs, please complete the Yellow Ribbon Benefits Request form from the Office of Admission.
  • If you are eligible for the scholarship an award notification will be sent to you once your financial aid eligibility has been determined.
  • After you have registered for classes and submitted a Certification Request, the Registrar will submit a certification of enrollment to the VA. The VA will send Yellow Ribbon funds directly to Scripps College.

Note: Students who have received a Yellow Ribbon Scholarship do not need to submit a new Yellow Ribbon Application form every term. As long as eligibility requirements are maintained, the scholarship will be renewed automatically each semester for the same academic year. However, the College’s Certification Request must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office each semester/term as soon as you have registered for classes.

Additional Information for Student Veterans

Education Programs for Veterans

Eligibility criteria and benefits vary. Please refer to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to learn more about the various educational programs available to veterans and their dependents.

For questions regarding the Certificate of Eligibility and your eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon portion of the benefits, contact the Veteran’s Administration at 1-888-GIBILL (1-888-442-4551) to speak with an Education Case Manager.


To receive accurate and timely information regarding your VA benefits, it is highly recommended that you sign up for an e Benefits account. You can apply for and manage all of your VA benefits from this site: E Benefits

Joint Service Transcripts

The (JST) Joint Services Transcript has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member’s military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations. All military transcripts need to be submitted for admission. To request your official transcripts, click here.

Timelines and Payment Information

After initial certification, please be advised that it takes approximately six weeks before the first payment to arrive. Students will receive their benefits check from the VA at the end of each month. Reminder: Students are paid in arrears for educational benefits. (e.g., September payment is for August). Please take this into account when planning your personal finances.

To avoid a delay in payment, notify the registrar of any changes in academic program, course load, address, and of withdrawal from one or more courses.