Change the direction of your life.
Change it at Scripps.
The Scripps Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program offers motivated women and men the opportunity to complete the requisite science courses to successfully pursue a career in medicine in a thirteen-month program for career changers. Learning in small, collaborative classes alongside diverse and committed students, and benefiting from the personal attention and guidance of dedicated faculty and advisers, our students have earned an impressive acceptance rate into medical, dental, and veterinary schools of 98%. Located within the Claremont Colleges, the Scripps Post-Bac program is a respected leader in its field.
Scripps Post-Bac Values
The Scripps Post-Bac Program places a strong emphasis on fostering a collaborative, diverse, and supportive environment for its students, and has established a set of values that encompasses this philosophy:
- Teamwork: Individuals pursuing a career in healthcare must value collaboration and teamwork in both the classroom and workplace. The Scripps Post-Bac program emphasizes teamwork by building a cohort of individuals who work together to achieve success in their coursework. Working with fellow post-bac students as well as undergraduates at the Claremont Colleges, students consistently collaborate on group projects and presentations, form study groups, and complete weekly laboratory projects in teams across all subjects.
- Diversity: Scripps College honors diversity as a key component of the academic life and mission of the College. Consistent with that commitment, Scripps encourages members of historically under-represented groups to apply for admission into the College’s Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program and considers the diversity of the student body as a factor in the admissions process for the program. As a career-changer program, Scripps Post-Bac values individuals with diverse life experiences, undergraduate majors, and careers.
- Support: Being a part of a small cohort of post-bac students allows individuals to receive personalized attention from faculty, staff and advisers. Students also find immense support provided by current post-bacs and alumni who are available to provide advice and guidance through the rigorous coursework. Program and faculty advisers consistently provide personalized guidance to ensure the coursework and volunteer work fit the needs of students.
Pursue a Career in Medicine
Our selective program provides a strong educational foundation in basic science prerequisites necessary for competitive admission to medical, dental or veterinary school. Successful applicants to the program have completed college but have never before applied to medical school nor taken the MCAT. Scripps Post-Bac students benefit from:
- small classes and close interaction with professors;
- personal advising;
- group tutoring;
- a broad array of volunteer and research experiences in the greater Los Angeles area;
- customized MCAT preparation course; and
- linkage programs with opportunities to directly enter medical school after finishing the program.
While we offer the option of a part-time, 24-month program, most of our students complete the full-time program in thirteen months—saving on tuition and living expenses and ensuring that course material is fresh in their minds when studying for the MCAT. Additionally, Scripps’ linkage programs offer qualified students the opportunity to matriculate into medical school immediately upon completion of the program, and about one-third of our students successfully link to one of our five linkage schools. Since the Scripps Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program began in 1995, our graduates have been accepted into more than 40 different medical schools, eight dental schools, and three top veterinary schools.