The Scripps College Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program is open to men and women who have received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution in a field other than science. A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required, as is additional evidence of high achievement, such as appropriate standardized test scores (SAT, ACT or GRE). The ideal candidate will be strongly motivated and will have made an informed decision to enter the field of medicine based on healthcare experience through volunteer work or previous employment.
"I wanted a Post-Bac community where I knew I would succeed. For me, this meant small classes, accessible and dedicated professors, collaborative peers, knowledgeable advisors, and opportunities for me to expand my profile beyond academics. This is both what I looked for in a program and what I found — in spades — at Scripps."
Katherine Serrurier, Class of 2011
Drexel University College of Medicine, Candidate for Doctor of Medicine (MD) (2013-2017)
How to apply
The Scripps College Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program accepts applications on a rolling-basis, beginning September 1. The early submission of application materials will improve an applicant’s chances of admission. For admission to the Class of 2015-2016, applications and all supporting documents must be postmarked by March 1, 2015. Once we have received all of your application materials you will be notified via e-mail that your application has been sent to the Admissions Committee for review. For questions regarding your application please contact Sara Simon or DeEttra Mulay. Applications are reviewed once all materials are received, and the admission committee then determines whether an applicant will be invited for an interview.
What to submit
- Application must be submitted electronically. Application will open SEPTEMBER 1st, 2014. (if you encounter a problem with the application, please contact the Scripps Help Desk)
- 800-word essay; prompt available once you start the on-line application.
- SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. Only one standardized test score is required. You can request scores from the following websites:
- Résumé may be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to our campus address (see below).
- Sealed official transcripts from ALL colleges and/or universities you have attended. Please send to our campus address (see below).
- Two letters of recommendation with signed waiver forms. Letters may be sent directly from recommenders or included in one packet with your signature and payment form.
- Signature and payment form, along with $60 application fee.
Please mail all supplemental materials to:
Post Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program
1030 Columbia Ave. #1226
Claremont CA 91711
Interview and Campus Visit
Upon review of the applications, selected candidates will be invited to campus to interview with the faculty and program directors. This is an opportunity to learn more about our program by speaking with the faculty and administrative directors, attending a lab or lecture, meeting with current students for lunch or coffee, and taking a campus tour. A day on campus gives prospective students the opportunity to learn more about Scripps College and the Claremont environment, while also giving the admission committee the opportunity to get to know the candidates beyond the application. Following the interview, the admission committee will evaluate the complete applications and notify the candidates with a decision within 2-4 weeks of the campus visit.