The Scripps College Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program is open to men and women who have received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution in a field other than science. A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required, as is additional evidence of high achievement, such as appropriate standardized test scores (SAT, ACT or GRE). The ideal candidate will be strongly motivated and will have made an informed decision to enter the field of medicine based on healthcare experience through volunteer work or previous employment.
"I've emerged from this program with an even stronger commitment to medicine. Yet more importantly, I found that self-confidence as a student grew over the course of the year as well. The pre-medical curriculum placed me in an academic realm beyond my comfort zone, and I found a way to succeed in it. Beyond my training in science, I developed a strong work ethic, solid problem-solving skills, and an attention to detail throughout the program. My concurrent shadowing and research experiences further confirmed my desire to be doctor."
Emily Avis, Class of 2012
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Candidate for Doctor of Medicine (MD) (2013-2017)
How to apply
The Scripps College Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program accepts applications on a rolling-basis, beginning September 1. The early submission of application materials will improve an applicant’s chances of admission. For admission to the Class of 2016-2017, applications and all supporting documents must be postmarked by March 1, 2016. Once we have received all of your application materials you will be notified via e-mail that your application has been sent to the Admissions Committee for review. For questions regarding your application please contact Sara Simon or DeEttra Mulay. Applications are reviewed once all materials are received, and the admission committee then determines whether an applicant will be invited for an interview.
What to submit
- Application must be submitted electronically. Application will open SEPTEMBER 1st, 2015. (if you encounter a problem with the application, please contact the Scripps Help Desk)
- 800-word essay; prompt available once you start the on-line application.
- SAT, ACT, or GRE scores. Only one standardized test score is required. You can request scores from the following websites:
- Résumé may be sent via e-mail to email@example.com or mailed to our campus address (see below).
- Sealed official transcripts from ALL colleges and/or universities you have attended. Please send to our campus address (see below).
- Two letters of recommendation with signed waiver forms. Letters may be sent directly from recommenders or included in one packet with your signature and payment form.
- Signature and payment form, along with $60 application fee.
Please mail all supplemental materials to:
Post Baccalaureate Pre-Medical Program
1030 Columbia Ave. #1226
Claremont CA 91711
Interview and Campus Visit
Upon review of the applications, selected candidates will be invited to campus to interview with the faculty and program directors. This is an opportunity to learn more about our program by speaking with the faculty and administrative directors, attending a lab or lecture, meeting with current students for lunch or coffee, and taking a campus tour. A day on campus gives prospective students the opportunity to learn more about Scripps College and the Claremont environment, while also giving the admission committee the opportunity to get to know the candidates beyond the application. Following the interview, the admission committee will evaluate the complete applications and notify the candidates with a decision within 2-4 weeks of the campus visit.