Close

College Timeline

2018

The College’s new strategic plan, the Scripps Centennial Plan, is developed.

The campaign for Scripps College: More Scripps is the most successful campaign in Scripps’ history, raising $179M.

2017

The College embarks on a strategic planning process initiated by President Tiedens, advancing four themes:

  • Inclusive Student Success
  • Mission-Driven Outreach
  • Distinctive Identity
  • Innovative Learning Organization

2016

Lara Tiedens is appointed the College’s 9th president by a unanimous vote of the Board of Trustees.

Scripps’ tenth residence hall, NEW Hall, opens to new and returning students.

2015

Lori Bettison-Varga announces her resignation as Scripps College’s eighth president, effective October 2, 2015.

The Laspa Center for Leadership welcomes its new director, Lisa Watson, and opens operations in fall.

Construction on NEW Hall begins.

2014

The Katharine Howard Miller ’55 Wing of the Bette Cree Edwards ’49 Humanities Building opens during the summer break.

2013

Launch of the College’s largest ever campaign We Want More: The Campaign for Scripps College. At $175 million, We Want More strives to further academic excellence, national leadership, signature campus and financial strength. It was fueled by the collected power of the Scripps Community. Scripps awards the Ellen Browning Scripps Medal to former U.S. Representative Gabrielle “Gabby” Giffords ’93. The Laspa Center for Leadership is founded.

2012

Scripps College Academy celebrates 10 years of successful year-round programming for middle and high school young women.

2011

The “Nellie” Scholarship, established in honor of Ellen Clark Revelle ’31, is made available for continuing students.

The College actively participates in “Pacific Standard Time: Art in L.A. 1945-1980,” a collaboration of more than 60 cultural institutions in Southern California.

The Joint Science Department becomes the W.M. Keck Science Department of Claremont McKenna, Pitzer, and Scripps Colleges.

2010

Scripps College Academy receives National Arts and Humanities Youth Program Award, the highest recognition given to youth programs, in a White House ceremony. Elizabeth Turk ’83 wins MacArthur “Genius” Award.

2009

Lori Bettison-Varga is appointed eighth president of Scripps College. She and her family move into the Revelle House, the first president to live on campus since John H. Chandler.

2008

The Sallie Tiernan Field House opens its doors to students, faculty, and staff.

2007

Scripps’ sixth president, Nancy Y Bekavac, announces her resignation, effective July 1, 2007. Frederick “Fritz” Weis” is appointed interim president and is named full president in 2009.

An anonymous donor makes a $10 million gift to the College to support faculty initiatives on behalf of the Board of Trustees. This is the largest single gift to the College since its founding.

2006

Sallie Tiernan Field House, a state-of-the-art recreational and athletic facility to be located next to the swimming pool on the east side of campus.

The Board of Trustees approves the strategic plan, “Scripps College in the Next Decade: Leading with Excellence,” which focuses on academic excellence and women’s leadership.

2004

The most ambitious fundraising campaign in Scripps history surpasses its original $85 million goal with gifts and pledges totaling over $101 million. Over 87% of Scripps alumnae contributed to the Campaign for the Scripps Woman, which began its public phase in 1999 and concluded June 30, 2004. Scripps College Landscape and Architectural Blueprint is completed, outlining historic principles according to the values and priorities of Gordon Kaufmann and Edward Huntsman-Trout, as well as recommending policies and guidelines for maintenance, repair, development, and redevelopment of the campus. Scripps begins its third strategic plan within 10 years. Committees with trustee, faculty, staff, and student representatives meet regularly over the next two years.

2003

The Performing Arts Center, an expansion of Garrison Theater, opens. Music practice rooms and classrooms, faculty offices, the Nancy Hart Glanville Music Library, and the MaryLou and George Boone Recital Hall are added. The new center becomes the permanent home for The Claremont Colleges Joint Music Program, consisting of Scripps, Harvey Mudd, Pitzer, and Claremont McKenna Colleges.

2002

Scripps celebrates its 75th Anniversary with yearlong events: the Bradford Blaine Faculty Lecture Series; a Distinguished Speaker Series that includes Dr. Susan Love, financial guru Susie Orman, renowned author Sandra Cisneros, political commentator Molly Ivins, and pioneering architect Norma Sklarek; and the Gabrielle Jungels-Winkler Inaugural Lecture featuring former President of Poland Lech Walesa. To conclude the festivities, the College hosts a special dinner-dance on Bowling Green Lawn featuring a short retrospective film of the last 75 years of Scripps history. Scripps College receives a Getty Campus Heritage Initiative grant to produce a Landscape and Architectural Blueprint to codify standards for renovation and additions to the Scripps campus, as well as chronicle changes made to the landscape over time.

2001

The Ellen Browning Scripps Reading Room is added to Denison Library. The room was an existing space redone to house collected papers, books, and personal letters of the College’s founder.
The new Scripps Pool is completed and opens, phase one of a three-phase transformation of east campus, which will eventually house the Sallie Tiernan Fieldhouse and an Alumnae Field.

2000

Gabrielle Jungels-Winkler Hall opens to students. Named for alumna Gabrielle Jungels-Winkler ’72, who provided key guidance to architects on this project in addition to supporting student scholarship programs, an endowed faculty chair in contemporary European studies, a lecture series at the European Union Center of California, as well as other academic programs.

Elizabeth Hubert Malott Commons opens as the central dining facility for the campus. Various student services and offices are also established, including the Motley Coffeehouse and the Career Planning & Resources office. The building, previously the College’s Language Arts building, is named for Elizabeth Hubert Malott ’53, whose family gave the generous lead gift making the transformation possible.

The President’s House is renamed and dedicated to trustee and graduate of the first Class, Ellen Clark Revelle ’31, the niece of Ellen Browning Scripps. The house, no longer used as a permanent residence, becomes a primary location for entertaining, meetings, events, and home of the Office of Alumnae Relations.

1998

Supreme Court Judge Sandra Day O’Connor is awarded the second Ellen Browning Scripps Medal.

1994

Quotes of famous women in the arts, letters, and sciences are chosen by a committee of students, faculty, and alumnae to line “Inscription Walk,” a pathway connecting the W.M. Keck Science Center to Scripps’ east side of campus. The walk features quotes by scientists Maxine Singer, Rachel Carson, Maria Mitchell and Zora Neale Hurston, and Virginia Woolf, Beverly Sills, Adrienne Rich, Emily Carr and Helen Frankenthaler in the arts and letters.

The Millard Sheets Art Center is dedicated in honor of longtime art professor Millard Sheets, a key player in establishing the Art Departments at Scripps and Claremont Graduate School. The Millard Sheets Art Center includes the Ruth Chandler Williamson Gallery, the Florence Rand Language Art Studios, Baxter Hall, and the Scripps Press.

Hillary Rodham Clinton is awarded the College’s first Ellen Browning Scripps Medal. The medal honors women whose pioneering accomplishments have made a significant and positive difference for women, are in keeping with an institution dedicated to educating women, and reflect the moral, ethical, and humanitarian standards exemplified by Ellen Browning Scripps.

1992

The W.M. Keck Science Department moves from its previous home in Steele Hall and the neighboring buildings. A two year renovation begins to develop a dedicated Scripps art center, and provide a permanent home for Scripps Information Technology Services and other administrative needs.

1990

Nancy Y. Bekavac, graduate of Swarthmore College and Yale Law School, begins her term as Scripps College president, becoming the first woman fully appointed to this position.

1989

E. Howard Brooks assumes the Scripps presidency for a single year.

1984

Buildings and gardens at the center of Scripps campus are selected for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.

1976

John H. Chandler is appointed president of Scripps College, serving until 1989.

The Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference begins sponsorship of women’s sports. The existing Claremont Men’s College/Harvey Mudd competitive athletics program expands to include students from Scripps. The new program, CMS, chooses the team names the Athenas (women’s teams) and the Stags (men’s teams).

1975

In spring, Scripps’ student-run campus coffeehouse, The Motley to the View, opens its doors for business. Over the years, the Motley has changed venues from Balch Hall to the basement of Old Lang to the Frankel-Routt complex, and finally to its current location in Malott Commons.

1972

Scripps honors its first president, Ernest J. Jaqua, by renaming the central grassed area Jaqua Court and Quadrangle. The primary green remains a gathering place for residents and visitors alike, and it is the site for several annual College events during Fall Orientation, Family Weekend, and Commencement, among others.

1970

Bette Cree Edwards Humanities Building opens to serve as the principal classroom facility for the campus and the interdisciplinary Humanities Program. It is named for Bette Cree Edwards ’49, a former member of the Board of Trustees. Architect John Carl Warneke combines modern forms with the traditional Mediterranean style of the 1920s buildings. The Humanities Building includes classrooms, an auditorium, a slide library, faculty offices and lounge, and a gallery. Clark Humanities Museum opens. Designed as a teaching museum for students and faculty to mount exhibitions. Students select objects from the permanent collections, organize and install the items, and write the wall labels and brochures.

1969

During the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, Claremont feels the explosion of two bombs, one in Balch Hall and the other in Pomona College’s Carnegie Hall. The bombings happen concurrent with teach-ins regarding the development of a Black Student Union on campus.

1968

Staging a protest against the demolition of the Olive Grove and surrounding gardens-the proposed site to build the new Humanities Building-students take to the trees, literally. In May, students occupy the more than 60 trees, refusing to allow them to be cut down. The final resolution to the startling controversy is that the majority of olive trees are dug up, boxed, stored, and replanted around the campus once the Humanities Building is erected. Eight of the original trees still flourish in Lyddon Court within the Humanities Building. On the northwest corner of campus, just across Columbia Avenue, two new buildings are constructed for use by many of the Claremont Colleges. The four-story Harry and Grace Steele Hall and later-named Lang Art Studios are designed by Caudill Rowlett Scott of Houston in the brutalist style of concrete construction popular in Europe during the 1960s. Upon completion, the buildings house the early W.M. Keck Science Department, and later become exclusively used by Scripps for classrooms, offices, laboratories, and art studios.

1966

To accommodate 200 new students, two new residence halls are built on the east side of campus, Frankel and Routt. Originally conceived as a single facility with three wings by architects Criley and McDowell, the structure was reconfigured to offer a greater variety of room arrangements (singles, doubles, triples, suites, and kitchenette apartments) all sharing an unprecedented feature: air conditioning. Frankel Hall is named for Los Angeles residents Cecil Frankel and Bessie Bartlett Frankel, an honorary alumna of the College since 1931. Routt Hall is named for journalist and philanthropist Mary Patterson Routt, a founding trustee of the College.

1964

Mark H. Curtis becomes Scripps’ president, serving from 1964 to 1976.

1963

Garrison Theater opens to provide a facility for all the Claremont Colleges to use for theatrical productions, concerts, movies, lectures, and other events. Longtime Scripps trustee Robert H. Garrison and his wife, Catherine Garrison, who graduated from Pomona College and Claremont Graduate University, provide the initial funding.

1960

Scripps’ fifth residence hall, Mary Kimberly Residence Hall, opens to students. The hall is funded in part by gifts from friends and trustees of Harvey Mudd College, whose female students are housed in Kimberly from 1960-1980. The hall honors Mary Kimberly Shirk of Redlands, a longtime trustee of Scripps and the College’s interim president from 1942-1944.

Wilbur Hall is completed as a suite of living and dining rooms for special events on campus. The structure is named for Pasadena residents Van Rensselaer G. Wilbur, a member of the Board of Trustees from 1937-1962, and his wife Marguerite.

1958

Designed by Smith and Williams of Pasadena, the Music Building opens with a recital hall seating 150, a music library, classrooms, practice rooms, and faculty offices. The hall is named in honor of pianist Lee Pattison, or “Mr. Pat” to students, a Scripps professor of music. The Caster Music Library is a memorial to J. Edward Caster, a Scripps professor of music, and to Doris Caster, director of the Choral Club. The Richardson Dance Studio opens, named for Beatrice E. Richardson, the first professor of dance at Scripps. Longtime trustee Lucille Phillips Morrison funds the project; Smith and Williams also design the dance studio.

1947

For the first time, Commencement is held on Elm Tree Lawn. Previously located on Bowling Green, the new location provides a symbolic movement from the college classrooms to the alumnae house, located at the Revelle house on the east end of the lawn.

1946

Alfredo Ramos Martinez, the “Father of the Mexican Mural Movement of the 20th Century,” is commissioned to create the Margaret Fowler Garden, “The Flower Vendors.” The entire composition is sketched on the plaster wall, which is over 100 feet long, and begins work on several panels. He falls ill and passes away shortly after, on November 8, 1946, leaving the mural unfinished.

Scripps receives an autographed first edition collection of T.S. Eliot’s works, whose relationship with Scripps began when he lectured at the College in January 1933.

1944

Distinguished Shakespearean scholar Frederick Hard is named Scripps’ new president. Hard serves the College for a period of 20 years, the longest tenure of any Scripps president.

1942

With American involvement in World War II, the search for a new president of Scripps is temporarily halted and an interim female president is appointed: Mary Kimberly Shirk. Shirk, who was asked by the Board to “serve for a month or two,” remains in the position until the War concludes.

1941

The Scripps College Press is a gift from the class of 1941 and begins printing that year. Frederic W. Goudy, one of the most prominent type designers of his era, designs a special font for the press: Scripps College Old Style. The press runs until 1971 and is revitalized in 1980.

1939

The President’s House is built, following Gordon Kaufmann’s design. The first six presidents of Scripps resided in this structure during their respective tenures. The 16 American elms that comprise Elm Tree Lawn and flank the walkway between the President’s House and Balch Auditorium are planted. Mrs. Denison donates the 21 stained glass windows that line the first and second floors of the north wing of Denison Library; each window portrays signature marks of early printers and book makers.

1938

March 2, a flood occurs in Claremont, causing about $7,000 of damage to Toll and Clark Halls. Residents took refuge in Browning and Dorsey Halls, which are unaffected. Soon after, the famous floodwalls are erected to prevent further water damage. Today the students joke the walls keep the “mudd” out, referring to Harvey Mudd College.

1936

In the summer, the central quadrangle is grassed, primarily due to the energy of two Grace Scripps Clark Hall residents from the class of 1936: Cynthia Criley Williams and Helen Ely Brill. In their sophomore year, the two women began an adamant “Grass Before We Graduate” campaign. For two years, students opted without dessert two days a week to raise money. When they had raised $1,500, Mrs. William Honnold supplies the balance to install the expensive sprinkler system, while Mr. John M. Ely of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, generously supplies the grass seed. The Slocum Award, which rewards those seniors with the best book collections accumulated during their college career, is established. The Slocum Award is still given today.

1935

Mrs. Florence Rand Lang makes an initial gift that will eventually become the anchor for the south campus. The original Lang Art Building begins as two studios, though the design for the complete two-story structure is sketched by Professor of Art Millard Sheets, then drawn into a viable plan by architect Gordon Kaufmann.

1934

Mrs. Charles Stinchfield and a bequest from Mrs. Eldridge M. Fowler funds the donation of the Oratory, which features selections from Mrs. Fowler’s collection of antique Italian furniture and fine textiles. This Oratory later becomes a key part of Margaret Fowler Garden. Architect Gordon Kaufmann designs Margaret Fowler Garden, an enclosed, European medieval-style cloister garden for the east side of the campus to accompany the Oratory. The garden is dedicated to the memory of Margaret Fowler and financed by her friends (Mrs. Stinchfield, Mrs. E.C. Harwood) and family (Mrs. Fowler’s daughter, Mrs. Katherine Merle-Smith, and sister, Ms. Henrietta Brewer).

1933

The first swimming pool and units of the field house are completed at Alumnae Park (an area that eventually became part of Harvey Mudd College campus). Alumnae Park is dedicated to the honorary alumnae from the early years of the College before there was a true alumnae association. The Association of Honorary Alumnae is originally composed of 50 women who contributed $500 each year.

1931

In June, the first class graduates from Scripps College on Bowling Green Lawn.

1930

In fall, Susan Miller Dorsey Hall is ready for occupancy, and remains the youngest residence hall at Scripps for thirty years. Financed almost entirely by women, the hall is named for Mrs. Dorsey, who was the first woman superintendent of schools in Los Angeles and one of the first trustees selected. In fall, philanthropist Ella Strong Denison of Denver and San Diego donates the library that bears her name. Gordon B. Kaufmann designs the building in a cruciform shape, resembling the Spanish renaissance chapel that Mrs. Denison frequented in Europe. The large stained glass window in the main room, around which the building was planned, is called the Gutenberg Window, designed by artist Nicolo D’Ascenza, featuring the theme “Evolution of the Book” and centrally depicting the figure of Johann Gutenberg. Today, the library houses more than 2,000,000 volumes and several permanent collections primarily emphasizing the humanities, performing arts, art history, and women’s history. The Rose Garden, designed by Edward Huntsman-Trout, is planted for students to cut and enjoy fresh flowers. The garden has been restored to include varieties of roses used in the original plan. Senior Wall, now called Graffiti Wall, is also instituted, and becomes a place for each graduating class to create an artistic logo or image unique to their class and sign their names.

1929

Designed by architect Sumner Hunt of Los Angeles, Janet Jacks Balch Hall is completed in fall and becomes the primary academic facility. The building is a gift of Mr. and Mrs. Allan C. Balch of Los Angeles, and named in honor of trustee Janet Jacks Balch. Today Balch Hall is the administrative center and the adjoining auditorium is a key location for lectures, plays, community meetings, convocations, and musical events. Ellen Browning Residence Hall is finished. Although she did not wish to have a building named for her, this hall bears the first two names of Miss Scripps and is dedicated to the memory of her brother, Edward W. Scripps. Manana Court, the central courtyard within Browning Hall, earns its name because the original vegetation planted is almost entirely native to Mexico. (Today, the courtyard boasts both Mexican and native California plants.)

1928

In fall, Grace Scripps Clark Hall is completed. It is the joint gift of Grace Scripps Clark and Ellen Browning Scripps, in memory of James E. Scripps, founder and editor of the Detroit Evening News and father and brother of the donors. The building features a high-ceilinged baronial dining room, inner courtyards, and balconies, and the mosaic-paved Olive Court, which externally joins Clark Hall to Toll Hall.

1927

Ernest J. Jaqua, for whom Jaqua Quadrangle is named, is elected the first president of Scripps. Jaqua recruits an initial faculty dominated by men, even though women trustees had requested that one-half of the faculty be female. In the fall, Scripps College opens. The College consists of three small cottages: one for classes, one for the library, and one for miscellaneous use. Eleanor Joy Toll Hall opens as the first building and residence hall in the Kaufmann plan. Eleanor Joy Toll was one of the original trustees and prominent leader of women’s interests, such as education, music, and civic progress, in Southern California. Professor Hartley Burr Alexander, a versatile philosopher and anthropologist from the University of Nebraska, and the Board of Trustees develop a two-year core humanities program focusing on the history of Western Civilization, a program that soon develops into the capstone program, “The Humanities: History of Occidental Culture.” The women trustees focus on building a curriculum with a strong emphasis in art, psychology, literature, and the social sciences. The tradition of afternoon tea begins and continues today, each Wednesday afternoon, in Seal Court. The “two cookies only” rule, enforced in early days, when high tea was observed in individual residence halls, is generally ignored today.

1926

Ellen Browning Scripps endows a college for women as the first element in a coordinated system of affiliated colleges and graduate schools surrounding Pomona. The College was to offer to women an education designed to “train her for the fullest and richest life that she herself may have, as well as the chance to give to society her greatest contribution”; i.e., work combined with marriage. Construction of the Scripps College campus and development of its academic program begins under the leadership of Ernest J. Jaqua, formerly dean of the faculty of Pomona College, who eventually becomes Scripps College’s first president. In May, the original 20 members of the Board of Trustees—one half of whom are women—assemble at the home of Margaret Fowler in Pasadena to welcome Scripps’ birthday. Architect Gordon Kaufmann, along with landscape architect Edward Huntsman-Trout, designs a campus built as a great courtyard, facing inward, with great stucco walls entered through archways, doors, and wrought-iron gates. Kaufmann was one of the pioneers of the Mediterranean Revival or “California Style.” The trustees direct Kaufmann to “give to the dormitories the appearance and atmosphere of a beautiful home.”

1923

James A. Blaisdell, president of Pomona College, writes to Ellen Browning Scripps, of La Jolla, his hopes for a “group of institutions divided into small colleges—somewhat on the Oxford type.” Ellen Browning Scripps becomes one of the founders of a new corporation, named The Claremont Colleges.