Scripps’ fifth residence hall, Mary Kimberly Residence Hall, opens to students. The hall is funded in part by gifts from friends and trustees of Harvey Mudd College, whose female students are housed in Kimberly from 1960-1980. The hall honors Mary Kimberly Shirk of Redlands, a longtime trustee of Scripps and the College’s interim president from 1942-1944.
Wilbur Hall is completed as a suite of living and dining rooms for special events on campus. The structure is named for Pasadena residents Van Rensselaer G. Wilbur, a member of the Board of Trustees from 1937-1962, and his wife Marguerite.