To accommodate 200 new students, two new residence halls are built on the east side of campus, Frankel and Routt. Originally conceived as a single facility with three wings by architects Criley and McDowell, the structure was reconfigured to offer a greater variety of room arrangements (singles, doubles, triples, suites, and kitchenette apartments) all sharing an unprecedented feature: air conditioning. Frankel Hall is named for Los Angeles residents Cecil Frankel and Bessie Bartlett Frankel, an honorary alumna of the College since 1931. Routt Hall is named for journalist and philanthropist Mary Patterson Routt, a founding trustee of the College.