My Financial Aid Award

Continuing students who apply for aid by the published deadlines will receive their financial aid awards at the end of the first week of June each year.

If you are an admission applicant and you are admitted to Scripps College and have completed your application for financial aid, you will receive a financial aid notification along with your offer of admission.

It is very important that all students meet all deadlines for financial aid applications and supporting materials. If you submit a financial aid document after the published deadline, your financial aid may be reduced. We encourage you to file your application materials in advance of the deadline dates if at all possible.

If you receive financial aid, your award will normally include grants, loans and student employment, as well as any scholarships you may have been awarded by Scripps College Office of Admission. If you have notified us of any outside agency scholarships that you know you will receive, those will be included as well.

We are committed to meeting 100 percent of the demonstrated need of each aid applicant based on an individual evaluation. We make this determination using the information you provide on your financial aid application and take into consideration any special circumstances you may have shared.

If you are admitted to Scripps College and you decide to enroll, you will be given access to your online financial aid award at the My Financial Aid portal. Enrolled students use the My Financial Aid portal to view, accept and/or decline your awards. Before we can disburse aid (make a payment to your student account) all awards must be accepted or declined on your My Financial Aid portal. Students who are recently admitted must wait to receive their Scripps College email credentials before they will be able to access the My Financial Aid portal and accept/decline their awards.

No. Scripps College will not match financial aid awards from other colleges or universities to which you have been admitted. However, if you have a question about how we calculated your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) or if your family’s financial circumstances have changed since you filed your initial application, please contact us and we can review your application with you. Your award from another college or university may be different because you made that school aware of a change in your financial circumstance that you did not share with Scripps.

For continuing students, the status of all documents, received or still missing, may be reviewed on the Documents page of your My Financial Aid Portal. Only enrolled students have access to the My Financial Aid portal. Remember to check your documents tab often for requirements that may have been recently added.

If you are an admission applicant or recently admitted, you must check the Financial Aid Checklist on your Admission Applicant Status page.

Students employed under the Federal Work-Study program worked an average of 4-5 hours per week over the last academic year. Students are not required to work that amount.

Students are free to earn as much or as little of their Federal Work-Study award as quickly or as slowly as they wish.  The only real limitations are the award amount for the year, that students cannot earn Federal Work-Study before the first day of classes for the fall semester or that last day of finals for the spring semester, and students cannot work in a Federal Work-Study job at a time when they are specifically supposed to be attending a class.

For more information on student employment contact Career Planning & Resources.

If you receive an outside scholarship at any time before or during the academic year, you must notify the Scripps College Financial Aid Office. Federal, state and institutional regulations require the Financial Aid Office to consider all student and parent income, assets and outside resources when determining your eligibility for financial aid. This includes any scholarships or assistance you may receive from any source.

Institutional policy states that outside scholarships will first replace the student’s self-help (loans and/or work study) awards where available, thus reducing the amount a student may need to borrow or work. Following the reduction of self-help aid, we will also allow outside scholarships to help cover your minimum student income contribution. If the total of your outside scholarship(s) exceeds your self-help awards and student contribution, we may be required to reduce other forms of aid including Scripps Grant.

An appeal should be submitted when a family can document a significant change in financial circumstances, or if you believe there are special circumstances that were not included/considered on your initial aid application. Please contact our office to discuss your change in circumstance. You can also review our page on Change in Circumstance and Appeals for more detailed information.