Frequently Asked Questions for Transfer Applicants

Who is considered a transfer student?

A student who has graduated from high school, enrolled in a degree-seeking program, and has any transferable credits is considered a transfer student.

When can I apply?

Scripps welcomes applicants who wish to transfer in at first-year, sophomore, or junior status.

How does Scripps review transfer applications?

The Admission Committee places considerable weight on the content and quality of the college transcript(s) and college faculty recommendations. Course credit is generally transferable if the prior college is accredited, the course carries a grade of ‘C’ or better, and the course is comparable to one offered by any of The Claremont Colleges. Students transferring from California colleges or universities are advised to follow the IGETC plan to ensure transferable credits. Scripps will evaluate transfer credit on a case-by-case basis. Transfer applicants are advised to challenge themselves with a range of coursework prior to transferring to Scripps College in order to fulfill our Breadth of Study requirements soon after transferring.

Does Scripps require a certain grade point average for admission?

No, but we recommend that transfer candidates have maintained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better at their previous college(s) in order to be considered competitive for admission.

What is the maximum amount of credit allowed from a previous institution(s)?

The maximum amount of credit allowed from previous college work toward a Scripps degree is two years or 16 courses. Transfer students must spend the equivalent of four full-time semesters at Scripps, completing at least 16 courses, in order to receive the B.A. degree from the College.

What should I do if I previously applied to Scripps (either as a first-year or transfer applicant) and I am reapplying?

You must submit the same required materials with the exception of your official SAT or ACT scores if you submitted them to Scripps as part of your previous application. If you applied last year, the $60 application fee will be waived. You may email the Office of Admission with any questions you have about your specific situation.

What test scores does Scripps require for transfer applicants?

Scripps College requires that applicants submit SAT and/or ACT scores; however, this requirement is waived if you graduated high school five or more years ago or if you did not have to take the SAT or ACT to apply to your current college

Does Scripps superscore SAT and/or ACT?

Yes, if a student takes the SAT or ACT more than once, we will consider your best score. The best SAT score is determined by combining the highest score received on each section from any combination of testing dates; note that we will not combine subscores from the new and old versions of the SAT. Best ACT score is also determined by combining the highest score received on each section from any combination of testing dates.

Does Scripps allow self-reported test scores?

Yes, Scripps College accepts self-reported test scores or official score reports for the ACT or SAT.  Students can submit their self-reported test scores through the Common Application, or through the Self-Reported Test Scores form in the Application Status Portal form checklist. Students who are admitted and choose to enroll at Scripps will be required to submit an official score report. If there are any discrepancies between self-reported test scores and official score reports, this may affect a students offer of admission. Please keep in mind, we do not accept self-reported test scores for the TOEFL (Test of English as a Second Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System).

Does Scripps require the College-Report and Mid-Term Report?

Yes, Scripps College requires that all transfer applicants submit the College Report and the Mid-Term Report. These forms can be found on the Common Application website and should be submitted via mail to the Scripps College Office of Admission

I am an international student. In addition to the required application materials, are there any additional materials I must submit?

Yes, the following materials are also required:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) results
  • Official results of any International Baccalaureate or national exams
  • College Board International Student Certification of Finances
  • CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE (if applying for need-based financial aid)
  • Certified English translations of all documents. Please see the International Applicants page for more information.

Can I request to have my TOEFL/IELTS waived?

If your first language is English or the language of instruction at your school is English, you may be eligible for a waiver of the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. After you have submitted your application, email with your name, birthdate, the name of your school, and how many years you have been in an English-language classroom environment.

Is housing guaranteed for transfer students?

Scripps College-sponsored housing is available for transfer students. Students will find out the housing accommodations once admitted and admitted transfer students are encouraged to contact the Office of Student Affairs at (909) 621-8277.

Is Scripps a partner with HTCC?

Scripps College is proud to partner with the Honors Transfer Council of California (HTCC). The HTCC negotiates special transfer agreements linking community college honors/scholars’ programs to specific universities, large or small, public or private. Students completing such programs may enjoy a range of benefits at Scripps, such as priority acceptance consideration. If you are a community college honors program student interested in transferring to Scripps, contact the Office of Admission at (909) 621-8149 or