- Ph.D., Art History, Yale University
- M.A., Art History, Carleton University
- B.A., Art History, English Literature, University of British Columbia
British art; landscape; photography; visual and material histories of empire; Pacific art
- Core I: Histories of the Present
- Art & the British Empire
- Art of the Pacific Voyage
- History of Photography
- Photography and the Archive
Selected Research and Publications
- “Shoreline and Paper’s Edge: Nuu-chah-nulth Emissaries in the Eighteenth and Twenty-first Centuries.” Eighteenth-Century Studies 56:2 (January 2023). 285-312.
- Book Review: “Empire, Early Photography and Spectacle: The Global Career of Showman Daguerreotypist J.W. Newland.” Journal of Pacific History 57:1 (2022).
- “Our Transporting Antipodes’: Panoramic Views of Australia and the Works of Augustus Earle,” in On the Viewing Platform: the Panorama Between Canvas and Screen, ed. Tim Barringer, Richard Maxwell and Katie Trumpener. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2020. 120-140.
- Co-authored with Gabrielle Moser, "The Invisible and Inalienable Wind," in "The Arts, Environmental Justice, and the Ecological Crisis", British Art Studies, Issue 18.
- Co-authored with Kailani Polzak, “The Time of Captain Cook: A Conversation,” Journal18 (April 2020).
- Co-authored with Kaitlin McCormick and Gerald McMaster, “The Entangled Gaze: Indigenous and European Views of Each Other.” Editors' Introduction to ab-Original: Journal of Indigenous Studies and First Nations and First Peoples’ Cultures 2:3 (2018), 125-140 (Special Issue on The Entangled Gaze, co-edited with Gerald McMaster).
- “Fire-stick Picturesque: Landscape Art in Early Colonial Tasmania,” British Art Studies 10 (2018)
- “Familial Looking: Chinese Canadian Vernacular Photography of the Exclusion Period (1923–1967),” Visual Studies 32:2 (2017), 111-123.
- " Iqaipaa / I Remember: Spatial and Temporal Constructions of Identity in the Museum," SHIFT / Journal of Visual and Material Culture 1 (2008)
Awards and Honors
- Getty ACLS Postdoctoral Fellowship in the History of Art, 2023-2024
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Toronto, 2018-19
- Theron Rockwell Field Prize, Yale University, 2018
- Frances Blanshard Prize for an outstanding doctoral dissertation submitted to the Department of the History of Art, Yale University, 2018
- Junior Fellowship, Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, London, 2017
- Predoctoral Fellow, Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (Annual Scholar Theme: “Art and Anthropology”), 2016–17
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Doctoral Fellowship, 2011-2015