Dear Scripps Students,
Updates in this communication include the below mitigation practices which are effective immediately:
- The Claremont Colleges will be returning to 1C dining effective for dinner tonight.
- Food Trucks will be brought in to help de-densify Malott today!
- All dining will be moved outdoors. The dining rooms at Malott will be 0% capacity and there will be limited capacity in the servery at Malott.
- All 5C events, including 5C clubs, will be canceled until further notice.
- All indoor student events at Scripps will be canceled.
- Any outdoor student event must be approved by OSE and cannot exceed 10 students.
- Surgical masks are strongly recommended at all outdoor events when social distancing cannot be achieved.
- Faculty will be in communication with students if there will be any changes to how classes will be meeting.
Yesterday Scripps College was informed of 30 positive student cases and today there were an additional 25 positive student cases. We hope this surge will subside soon and there is a greater likelihood of this if ALL appropriate protocols are adhered to. It is crucial that all students continue to follow all mitigation practices and be mindful of themselves and each other.
Our preliminary assessment suggests a number of factors are contributing to the rise in cases amongst students including the presence of the BA.2 variant, which is more transmissible (though generally not more severe in its effects than the earlier Omicron variant), outdoors social events in which masking is not required, and students’ return from Spring Break. While we cannot control the impact of relaxed masking rules across the county, consistent with our past practice we believe it is prudent to take appropriate steps now to limit the risk of transmission on campus and among the Scripps community.
Our team at the 240 House is diligently moving students into isolation in a safe and supportive way. We are utilizing isolation spaces both at KGI Oasis and other locations in the local area. Many students will be placed into double rooms while in isolation. Students are supported by their PCD while in isolation and will be expected to communicate directly with their professors to discuss remote class options and participation. Malott delivers food daily to students in isolation.
Surgical masks or higher are required for all community members. Indoor masking continues to be required in ALL indoor locations on campus, except for certain residential spaces where students live together and are considered a “household.” All students receive a weekly supply of masks in their mailboxes. All students should retrieve their masks weekly or they will not be replenished.
Until further notice the below mitigation practices at Scripps go into effect immediately as a means of reducing transmission and protecting the health of our community:
- Cross-campus dinning will be discontinued immediately. All Claremont College students will be expected to use their own dining hall. This also applies to cafes.
- All 5C events will be canceled until further notice. This includes all 5C club and organization events.
- Malott will be open for grab-n-go only. The servery will be at a limited capacity. I ask that students are patient while waiting in line. Our dining team are doing all they can to serve amazing and delicious food in a safe manner.
- All students are encouraged to eat outdoors and maintain distance while eating.
- Food trucks will be arriving on campus today and will be on campus for the next few weeks! The Food Truck hours are Monday – Friday 11:30 – 1:30 pm and 5:00 – 7:00 pm. On Saturday and Sunday, the hours are 11:00 – 1:00 pm and 5:00 – 7:00 pm.
- All Scripps student events must be approved by OSE. All events will be outdoors with a limit of 10 people. Surgical masks are strongly recommended at all outdoor events when social distancing cannot be achieved. No food or drinks are allowed.
- Indoor masking is required. All community members must wear a surgical mask or higher. Cloth masks are not approved. Students do not need to wear masks in their rooms but should be worn in all common areas in residential halls.
- Non-7C guests are not allowed in residential halls. All 7C guests are required to follow Scripps masking requirements.
- A weekly supply of surgical masks is made available to all students in a student’s mailbox. Masks can also be picked up at the Dean of Students office and 240 House.
- All students are required to test weekly. Unvaccinated students must test twice a week. Students have been doing a wonderful job continuing to test. Now it is more important than ever. Please make sure to adhere to all testing requirements.
- If you are a close contact to someone who has tested positive please review the following guidance from LACPDH: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/ncorona2019/covidquarantine/
As we approach the end of the semester, it is important to remember that students who are positive for COVID-19 will not be able to leave isolation or be on campus until cleared by Student Health Services. This includes, but is not limited to, not being able to (1) attend finals or end of the year events, (2) pack belongings to move out at the end of the semester, and (3) graduate in person. I ask for your immediate and sustained attention to COVID-19 mitigation practices.
We will continue to monitor cases and notify the community when we may be able to resume previous practices. In the meantime, to mitigate further spread of COVID-19 it will require community-wide effort and attention. Adherence to health and safety protocols, including testing and masking, is imperative to stopping the spread of COVID-19 on campus. For further information please visit Scripps Strong.
Thank you for your continued efforts to keep our community healthy and safe.
Dean di Bartolo-Beckman
Interim Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students