Scripps College is committed to the full participation of students with disabilities in all aspects of college life, including residential life. In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the American with Disabilities Act, Scripps College has established procedures to ensure that students with documented disabilities have equal access to housing resources and receive housing assignments that reasonably meet their needs as required by law. According to the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), a disability is defined as any mental or physical impairment that substantially limits the individual in a major life activity.
The department of Academic Resources and Services (ARS) oversees Disability Support Services (DSS). ARS and DSS works closely with Residential Life staff to identify appropriate housing accommodations for all students with documented disabilities. Given that, it is important for students to inform us right away of any conditions and/or limitations that may impact their residential life experience. Please see information below regarding housing accommodation requests.
New incoming students requesting housing accommodations (including emotional support animals)
All housing and support animal accommodation requests for incoming students for the 2022-2023 academic year, must be received by the Department of Academic Resources and Services by June 1st, 2022. Accommodations are provided as needed and as space permits. Please review process for requesting housing accommodations below.
Process for Requesting Housing Accommodations
- Complete the Housing Accommodations Request Form
- Provide supporting documentation. Documentation can be uploaded with the housing accommodations request form, emailed, mailed, faxed, or dropped off in the Dean of Students Office. Documentation guidelines are below.
- Housing accommodation requests are reviewed at the end of each month during the academic year.
Academic Resources Contact Information
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: (909) 607-7081, Attention: Academic Resources and Services
- Mail: 1030 Columbia, # 2010 Claremont, CA 91711, Attention: Academic Resources and Services
- In-Office: Dean of Students Office (Balch Hall)
Documentation Guidelines for Housing Accommodations
All documentation must be submitted on letterhead and include a signature from the treating professional health care provider. Students are encouraged to share the documentation guidelines with their treating health care professional. Documentation must address the following:
- Licensure and experience of health care professional
- Identification of diagnosis/condition
- Description of the functional limitation(s) as a result of the condition
- Discussion of the major life activities impaired by the condition
- How the condition/limitations impact full participation and/or accessibility of any aspect of the college experience, specifically residential and/or academic environment
- List of all recommended accommodations that will ameliorate the experience of the limitation(s) such that the student will be able to fully access and/or participate in all aspects of the academic or residential life programs
Requests for housing accommodations will be reviewed by a committee. Decisions will be sent electronically to the Scripps email account of the requesting student. Additionally, the student will be notified if more information is needed to make a decision on a request. Residential Life staff will work to facilitate access to appropriate housing accommodations as quickly as possible, but is based on availability. All approved housing accommodations will be reflected in the student’s assigned housing for the semester.
Meal Plan Accommodations
Scripps College requires that all students living in Scripps-supported housing purchase a meal plan. However, students with specific dietary needs that cannot be met by the college, may request an adjustment to their meal plan.
To request meal plan accommodations:
- Submit the Meal Plan Accommodation Request Form
- Provide supporting documentation. Documentation may be emailed, mailed, faxed, or dropped off in the Dean of Students Office. Documentation Guidelines are above.
Completed applications and documentation will be reviewed by the Academic Resources and Services staff. In some instances, students may be required to meet with ARS staff and Dining Services staff as a part of the meal accommodation request process.
Other Related Information
Additional information about the process for establishing academic accommodations at Scripps can be found on the Disability Support Services webpage.
Questions about the housing accommodations process can be directed to Academic Resources and Services at email@example.com