Dorothy Cruickshank Backstrand Chair of Gender and Women's Studies
|Department:||Gender and Women's Studies|
|Office Address:||Vita Nova 117|
|Office Phone:||(909) 607-0840|
- B.A. Wellesley College (Political Science/Anthropology)
- M.A. University of Chicago (Political Science/Anthropology)
- Ph.D. University of Chicago (Anthropology)
Areas of Expertise
Anthropology; British colonialism; transnational, post-colonial, and intersectional U.S. women of color feminisms; race, gender, and social justice; women in the global South; feminist pedagogy.
Selected Research and Publications
- A Time for Tea: Women, Labor and Post/Colonial Politics on an Indian Plantation. Durham: Duke University Press, 2001. (Republished, New Delhi: Zubaan, 2003)
- States of Trauma: Gender and Violence in South Asia. Co-edited with Parama Roy and Manali Desai. New Delhi: Zubaan, 2009.
- The Imperial University: Academic Repression and Scholarly Dissent. Co-edited with Sunaina Maira. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2014.
Awards and Honors
- Professor of the Year, Scripps College, 2014
- Bridging Theory to Practice Grant, 2014-2015
- John Hope Franklin Book Award, 2001
- Ford Foundation Grant, “Cloning Cultures,” Co-p.i, UCR/UCI, 2003-2006.
- Global Fund for Women, “Literacies for Liberation,” Project Director (India), 2013-2015.
- FGSS 026: Introduction to Feminist, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- FGSS 189: Doing Feminist Research
- FGSS 187: Gender Justice and Social Movements in Comparative Perspectives
- FGSS 182: Feminist Theory