Can Scripps connect me to local community mental health providers?

Scripps Off-Campus Referral Program is designed to help currently enrolled Scripps students have timely access to mental health services during the academic year. The program expands the pool of available mental health professionals in Claremont to help students connect with a counselor who meets their specific needs. This includes the Off Campus Subsidized Therapy Referral Program for students who need financial support covering low-cost therapy or copay costs. For more information, please reach out to Case Management.

I could benefit from counseling. Are there any services on campus?

Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services (MCAPS) is the mental health resource of the five undergraduate Claremont Colleges.  Students have a choice between virtual and in-person appointments for regular counseling. An initial brief assessment appointment will be strictly virtual. Crisis appointments and psychiatry/medication visits will generally be held in person. Group therapy will vary, based on the needs and preferences of each group. 

For Crisis or Urgent Needs: 

During business hours, a counselor is available to respond to urgent needs. If you are experiencing a crisis situation after hours, you can talk to a counselor by calling (909) 621-8202 and dialing “1.”  You can also contact the following crisis lines: 

  • National Hotlines: Call or Text 988 or chat at
  • Didi Hirsch 24-hour Crisis Line: 1-877-727-4747 (for Spanish, dial 1-800-628-9454) 
  • LGBTQ – The Trevor Lifeline: 1-866-488-7386 
  • Trans Crisis Line: 1-877-565-8860 
  • Crisis Text Line: Text HELLO to 741-741 
  • Students of Color Crisis Text Line: Text STEVE to 741-741 

The above crisis lines are not affiliated with or vetted by MCAPS. 

If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please call, if you are on campus, Campus Safety at (909) 607-2000 (x72000 from any campus phone) or, if off-campus, please call 911. 

 TCCS support resources: 

Chaplains (McAlister): (909) 621-8685 

Chicano Latino Student Affairs (CLSA): (909) 621-8044 

Office of Black Student Affairs (OBSA): (909) 607-3669 

Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC): (909) 607-7419 

Queer Resource Center (QRC): (909) 607-1817 

EmPOWER: (909) 607-2689  

I had accommodations in high school and/or my provider thinks I will benefit from accommodations in college. How do I start the process at Scripps?

To establish academic accommodations, please reach out to Academic Resources and Services Office at [email protected]. ARS will answer any questions about the accommodations process and/or discuss current approved accommodations offered at Scripps.

I have concerns about a class. Who should I talk to?

Scripps encourages students to be proactive in resolving conflict and/or concerns with their classes by speaking with the professor directly. However, if in speaking with the professor, the concerns are not resolved, students may reach out to their academic advisor. Lastly, if those measures do not result in resolution, students may reach out to Associate Dean of Faculty to discuss concerns and or schedule an appointment. 

I missed class due to a personal/academic meeting on- or off-campus and my faculty is asking for documentation to excuse it. What should I do?

All students should refer to their syllabus regarding absences (excused or not). In situations where a student may have a personal emergency (hospitalization, death in family, etc.), the student should reach out to their professor first to come up with an arrangement regarding the missed day(s) or coursework. The faculty member has full discretion on how they run their class and all decisions regarding absences are up to them. 

What should I do if I am facing challenges and/or conflict with my roommate(s)?

We always encourage students to proactively communicate with roommates or others in your residence hall when an issue arises. You can also contact your Residential Coordinator (RC) for support during that conversation. 

I am interested in learning from an academic coach. Does Scripps offer that support?

Scripps’ academic coach is housed within the Academic Resources and Services Office. For all inquiries regarding academic coaching, please contact Desiree Ross at [email protected]. Once your email has been received, Desiree will respond with a link to schedule a meeting. 

I could benefit from receiving financial support for an emergency. Are there any resources on campus for this kind of support?

The Student Emergency Fund provides financial assistance to Scripps students who experience temporary financial hardship resulting from an emergency or crisis situation. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with the Financial Aid Office before applying to the Student Emergency Fund. Prior to granting an award, the Dean of Students Office will consult with the Financial Aid Office regarding a student’s eligibility to receive grant assistance. For eligible students, every effort will be made to provide assistance within 24 hours of the request. Fund stipulations include:

  • Grants do not generally exceed $300. 
  • Grants may be awarded to a student once during an academic year.  
  • Grants do not have to be repaid. 
  • Only Scripps students may apply to the Scripps College Emergency Fund. 

 Please contact [email protected] so that our team can assist with this inquiry. 

I cannot afford to purchase a textbook. What financial assistance is available?

Students who are in need of additional academic support may reach out to [email protected] so that our team can assist with this inquiry. If the situation is not an emergency, our case manager will be in touch to schedule an appointment for further review.

I am interested learning more about the CalFresh Program.

CalFresh is a program for California residents who meet federal income eligibility rules and want to budget for healthy and nutritious food. The CalFresh program is funded through the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) and is implemented in partnership with county social services offices. Our case manager or student services manager will assist individuals who may benefit from these services. To get more information regarding CalFresh, please reach out to [email protected]

Do I need to have health insurance to attend Scripps?

Health insurance coverage is required for all continuing and newly matriculated Scripps students. All students are automatically enrolled annually in the Claremont Colleges Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). For more questions about SHIP please contact the Dean of Students Office. 

I have my own health insurance. Do I still need to enroll in SHIP?

Students may waive out of SHIP with proof of coverage through an insurance plan that meets The Claremont Colleges’ waiver criteria. For more information about the waiver process, please review the Student Insurance information.

Note that the mandatory SHIP requirement remains in place for international students within the United States and enrolled at Scripps College. International students are not eligible to waive SHIP. 

What is 7CHealth?

7C Health is a 24/7 telehealth option for students powered by TimelyMD. Through no-cost virtual visits and student focused physicians and counselors, Scripps students  can receive help for physical and emotional well-being concerns. 7C Health can address physical health symptoms such as cold and flu, strep, bacterial infections, ear infections, bruises, sprains, and mono. The average wait time for these medical and mental health appointments is 5 minutes. For TalkNow, which allows students to speak to counselors, there is also a 5-minute average wait time and a 30-minute average visit. Students now also have the option to schedule counseling sessions with the same provider for up to 12 sessions.

To access the 24/7 medical and mental telecare, download the TimelyMD mobile app or visit 7C Health. You will be prompted to create a profile and register with your Scripps email address. From there, you will select the type of care you are looking for. These visits are free for students and can be accessed anywhere in the world. For more information, please visit 7C Health. 

What services are provided at Student Health Services (SHS)?

SHS provides patient-centered health care to all of the 7C campus community in a professional and compassionate manner that directly contributes to the student’s well-being and overall success. SHS at The Claremont Colleges is a service provided to all students enrolled at one of the institutions. Special services include: 

  • General and sports physicals; 
  • X-Ray (chest and extremities), laboratory testing, and immunizations; 
  • Limited medications (dispensary services where students can purchase some of the more commonly prescribed medications); 
  • Sexual health and family planning services;  
  • And illness, cold/flu care, COVID-19 testing, and contact tracing. 

 For additional information on what SHS provides, please visit the 2023 Fact Sheet. 

How do I report an incident of sexual misconduct?

Any person may report incidents of sexual misconduct by completing the Sexual Misconduct Reporting Form or by contacting the Scripps Title IX Coordinator. In addition, certain employees of the College, known as Responsible Employees, have an obligation to report to the Title IX coordinator any information they receive about potential violations of the Scripps Discrimination and Harassment Policy or The Claremont Colleges Title IX Grievance Process. If you need assistance in getting in contact with the IX Coordinator, please contact [email protected].   

For additional information, please visit Title IX. 

Who should I reach out to if I have a life-threatening emergency?

If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please call, if you are on campus, Campus Safety at (909) 607-2000 (x72000 from any campus phone) or, if off-campus, please call 911. Depending on the circumstance, the dean on call will be notified and may also assist Campus Safety with the crisis. If your emergency is not life-threatening and you need after-hours assistance, please call Campus Safety and ask to speak with the dean on call for Scripps College.

What is the Guide to Student Life and Code of Conduct?

The Scripps College Guide to Student Life and Code of Conduct (GTSL+COC) is a resource for students to understand their rights, responsibilities, and opportunities while attending Scripps. The GTSL+COC is updated annually and as policies and procedures amend throughout the year. Substantive changes to the GTSL+COC will be announced via email to the student community as promptly as possible following implementation. Students are expected to comply with all aspects of the student guide. To familiarize yourself with the GTSL+COC policies and procedures, please see guide attached here.

If someone from [email protected] contacts a student, does that mean that they are in trouble?

Referrals are not a means of disciplinary action. Please note that referrals are submitted because someone cares about you, your well-being, and your overall success. The purpose of a referral is to connect students to resources on- and off-campus.

Who is the CARE@SCRIPPS Team?

Our CARE@SCRIPPS Team, which is housed within the Dean of Students Office, consists of our Dean of Students office coordinator, student services manager, case manager, and assistant vice president for Student Affairs. To learn more about our team, please visit our team page.