Working during college offers you not only the opportunity to earn money to help your college expenses, it also allows you to gain valuable skills and job experience, making you more attractive to employers in today’s competitive job market.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study Program is funded by the federal government, with matching funds coming from Scripps. Generally, students in the program can earn up to $2,200 per academic year. If you are eligible for the work-study program, you will be offered the award as part of your financial aid package.

If you accept a work-study offer, you will only be paid for the hours you work. You will be eligible to earn the full amount you are offered, but are not required to do so. There is no penalty if you work fewer hours or earn less than is offered in your aid package.


To be eligible for Federal Work-Study, you must:

  • demonstrate financial need,
  • meet all application deadlines,
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  • enroll full-time; and,
  • maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress toward your degree objective.

If you are deemed eligible to receive work-study funds, Scripps’ Career Planning & Resources office can assist you in locating employment. You will be asked to attend a work-study orientation/sign-up session during the first week of classes, to prepare you for campus employment.


Federal Work-Study earnings will not be credited to your student account. Instead, Federal Work-Study will be paid directly to you on a biweekly schedule based on the number of hours you work during a given pay period and your hourly rate of pay.  To be paid, students must enter their actual hours worked into their employer’s online time card system. Their employer must approve their time cards for payment.  You are not required to work a Federal Work-Study job, but you will not receive the funds if you do not work. You can use Federal Work-Study for  buying books and supplies or to assist you in meeting personal expenses. You will not be able to use your work-study award to pay your college tuition bill. The bill is due before the semester begins, but you must earn your work-study funds over the course of the semester/academic year.

Your Federal Work-Study award amount may be reduced if you receive an additional grant, outside scholarship, or departmental award, and the combination of all awards exceeds your federal need. During the course of the academic year, you and your employer will receive notifications from the Office of Financial Aid notifying you of your remaining eligibility for earnings.  It is important that your earnings do not exceed your Federal Work-Study award amount.

Application and Renewal

To receive or renew your Federal Work Study, you must reapply for financial aid each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS Profile Form. Other forms such as parent and student tax returns may by required by the established deadlines (See Apply for Aid). You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress toward your degree objective as described in the Scripps College Catalog.