- The Claremont Graduate School, Ph.D., English
- The Claremont Graduate School, M.A., English
- The California State University, Fullerton, B.A., English
- Fullerton College, A.A., magna cum laude
Areas of Expertise
Critical and creative writing, History of the English Language, Chaucer, Shakespeare, medieval women writers, culture clashes and exchanges in medieval and early modern literature, representations of the city in classical and medieval writings, questions of women and identity, ideas about translation.
Ideas about translation, poetry, authorship, representations of women in medieval and early modern literature, political theory and erotic discourse, transformations of American popular culture, contemporary poetry, writing pedagogy.
Selected Research and Publications
- "Authorizing Dante: Lady Philosophy and Speaking about the Self in Il Convivio." (article) Currently submitted for publication.
- "Manzanita" (poem). Trans. into Spanish by Leon Garcia Garagarza. Open Windows: Selections from the Winners of Poetry in the Windows, 1995-2003. Ed. Suzanne Lummis. Los Angeles: The Arroyo Arts Collective, 2005. 42-43.
- "Goat Spirit" and "Santa Anas" (poems). Poetry International VI (2002): 14-15.
- "The Bone Pickers" and "Manzanita" (poems). The Northridge Review, (Spring 2001): 10-12.
- "Something Wayne Told Me" and "In the Cards" (poems). Matchbook. Ed. Suzanne Lummis. Los Angeles: Red Wind Books, 1999. 24-27.
- Review of Studying Medieval Women, ed. Nancy Partner. Women's Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 24 (1995): 277-279.
Awards and Honors
- Marie McSpadden Sands Faculty Award for Exceptional Teaching, Scripps College, 2002
- Claremont Graduate University travel award to present at the 40th International Congress on Medieval Studies, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Michigan, May 5-8, 2005.
- 1998-99 Claremont Graduate School Dissertation Grant
- Ph.D. qualifying exams passed with distinction in major field (medieval) and tertiaries (early American, 19th C. American, 20th C. American)
- April 1996 Named one of Los Angeles' Emerging Poets in a competition sponsored by the Los Angeles Poetry Festival, Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center, and the Los Angeles Central Library
- 1988-1991 Tuition fellowships, The Claremont Graduate School
- Writing 50: Critical Analysis
- Writing 120: Writing for Non-Profit Organizations
- English 101A: Early English literature survey