Associate Professor of Politics
Office Address: Balch 213
Office Phone: (909) 607-0915
- Ph.D. in Political Science, University of California, San Diego
- M.A. in Political Science, Claremont Graduate University
- B.A. in Philosophy and Political Science, Macalester College
Areas of Expertise
Contemporary Political Theory, Critical Race Theory, Law and Humanities, Civil Liberties, Race and Film.
Selected Research and Publications
- ""Remembering Massive Resistance to School Desegregation,"" Law and History Review Vol. 31, No. 3 (August 2013) pp491 - 530.
- ""Review: Fugitive Slave on Trial: The Anthony Burns Case and Abolitionist Outrage, Earl Maltz,"" Law and Politics Book Review, Volume 21, No. 7 (July 2011) pp439-445.
- ""Plessy as Passing: Judicial Responses to Ambiguously Raced Bodies in Plessy v. Ferguson,"" Law and Society Review, Volume 39, Number 3 (2005).
- ""Review: Is Multiculturalism Bad for Women?, Okin et al,"" Women's Studies (2001).
- ""History Died For Our Sins: Guilt and Responsibility in Hollywood Redemption Histories,"" Journal of American Culture, Winter (1999).
Awards and Honors
- Scripps College Faculty Sabbatical Research Fellowship (2012)
- Mary W. Johnson Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching (2008, 2011)
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship (UCSD,1996-2000).
- George Blair Award for Best Master's Paper, Program in Politics and Policy, Claremont Graduate University, (1996).
- POLI 124: Race in American Politics
- POLI 140: Introduction to Political Theory
- POLI 141: Politics of Race and American Popular Film
- POLI 142: Radical Political Theory
- POLI 143: Civil Liberties and Fundamental Rights
- POLI 144: Legal Storytelling and the Rule of Law
- POLI 190: Senior Seminar
- Core I: Culture, Knowledge and Representation
- Core I: Histories of the Present: Human Nature and Human Difference