Working during college offers you not only the opportunity to earn money to help your college expenses, it also allows you to gain valuable skills and job experience, making you more attractive to employers in today’s competitive job market.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study Program is funded by the federal government, with matching funds coming from Scripps. Generally, students in the program can earn up to $2,200 per academic year. If you are eligible for the work-study program, you will be offered the award as part of your financial aid package.

If you accept a work-study offer, you will only be paid for the hours you work. You will be eligible to earn the full amount you are offered, but are not required to do so. There is no penalty if you work fewer hours or earn less than is offered in your aid package.


You must demonstrate financial need, meet all application deadlines, be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen and enroll full-time.

If you are deemed eligible to receive work-study funds, Scripps’ Career Planning & Resources office can assist you in locating employment. You will be asked to attend a work-study orientation/sign-up session during the first week of classes, to prepare you for campus employment.

Federal Work-Study earnings will be paid directly to you on a biweekly schedule for use in buying books and supplies, or to assist you in meeting personal expenses. You will not be able to use your work-study award to pay your college tuition bill. The bill is due before the semester begins, but you must earn your work-study funds over the course of the semester.

Your Federal Work-Study award amount may be reduced if you receive an additional grant, outside scholarship, or departmental award, and the combination of all awards exceeds your federal need. During the course of the academic year, you and your employer will receive notifications from the Office of Financial Aid notifying you of your remaining eligibility for earnings.  It is important that your earnings do not exceed your Federal Work-Study award amount.


To renew your Federal Work Study, you must reapply for financial aid each year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and other required forms by the established deadlines. You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress toward your degree objective as described in the Scripps College Catalog.

Scripps Campus Employment

If you are not eligible for Federal Work-Study, you may be eligible for Scripps Campus Employment, which is funded by the College.