- Ph.D., Art History, Stanford University
- B.A., Art History, Grinnell College
- Early twentieth-century isms (especially Dadaism, Surrealism, and Constructivism)
- Late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century intellectual history
- Art and science
- Media history and theory
- Experimental cinema
- Experimental Media in the United States
- The Bauhaus
- History of Photography
- Dada and Surrealism
- Old New Media
- Representing the Metropolis
- European Modernism 1840-1940
Selected Research and Publications
- “Raoul Hausmann’s Allegory in Infrared.” Rundbrief Fotografie 28, no. 1 (March 2021): 4-6.
- “Raoul Hausmann’s Infrared Photography: Energy and Perceptual Education After Dada.” Art Journal 79, no. 1 (Spring 2020): 56-73.
- “Photography as Photoenergy” (co-authored with James Nisbet). Energy and the Arts, edited by Douglas Kahn. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2019, 87-125.
- “A ‘Transference of Power’: Ezra Pound and the Avant-Garde Cinema of Hollis Frampton.” The Edinburgh Companion to Ezra Pound and the Arts, edited by Roxana Preda. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2019, 483-502.
- Book review of John Heartfield and the Agitated Image by Andrés Zérvigon. CAA Reviews (November 2013).
- Ten catalogue entries in The Seventh Gwangju Biennale Exhibition Guide, ed. Okwui Enwezor. Gwangju Gwangyoksi, South Korea: Gwangju Biennale, 2008.