New Student Programs and Orientation (NSPO) is designed to introduce you to the various elements of your Scripps experience, starting with Academics, one of our guiding principles. This section will include information you will need as you prepare to join our community of scholars.
You can download the “2023 New Student Academic Info & Class Registration” Pdf here
Students, incoming and continuing, with prior knowledge of French, German, Italian or Spanish, who have not taken a course in these languages at The Claremont Colleges will be required to take a placement exam. The exams will need to be taken before your arrival to campus. The results of these exams allow the departments to recommend the appropriate level class to continue your study of a language. Please review the information below for instructions and deadlines.
- French: Professor Curulla [email protected]
- German: Professor Vennemann [email protected]
- Italian: Professor Ovan [email protected]
- Spanish: Professor Sanjuán Pastor [email protected]
Preparing for the Test
- You don’t need to study or prepare anything for this placement test; the test measures your current level to place you in the right course. If the course you’re placed in is too challenging or too easy , discuss with your professor the possibility of switching the class.
- You can take this test only once. You should NOT use books, notes, or any other materials or online resources.
- Remember, this is a placement test. You should do the best you can following the test guidelines. If you get help or use restricted materials, or purposely answer incorrectly, you will place yourself in a course that is unsuitable for you. The result of this test will not place you out of GE language requirement (see item 8 below).
Taking the Test
- Only take an assessment if you have previous experience or knowledge in that language.
- The online placement exams will be available on July 1.
- Click the appropriate link below to create a user account using your College-issued email address. Enter “Scripps” for your “Student ID.”
- Once you have registered, you may:
- Take the French and Spanish Placement exam once each between July 1, 2023 and August 15, 2023.
- Take the Italian and German Placement exam once each between July 1, 2023 and August 21, 2023.
- To register for language classes in the fall, you must complete the placement exams by these deadlines. Again, the deadline are:
- August 15, 2023, for French & Spanish
- August 21, 2023, for Italian & German
- If you get help or use restricted materials, or purposely answer incorrectly, you will place yourself in a course that is unsuitable for you. Your instructor will then reevaluate your proficiency and place you into a suitable class
- At the end of your test session, you will not see your score. The department will review your responses and recommend placement in the appropriate level language class. The Scripps registrar will notify you of your placement recommendation and/or your recommendation will be visible to you in your portal. Use this as a guide for making class registration choices.
- If you have placed at an advanced level:
- in French or Spanish, you will be contacted by August 16 and asked to take an additional written proficiency exam;
- in German or Italian, you will be contacted by August 22 and asked to take an additional written proficiency exam.
- For all four languages, this additional exam will take place in person on August 23, 2023.
- The results of this proficiency exam will determine whether you will be placed in the Intermediate Level (33) or in the Advanced Level (44 or upper division courses). Your GE language requirement will be satisfied only if the proficiency exam places you at the Advanced Level (44 or above).
- If you plan on taking placement exams for more than one language, contact Becky Ballinger at [email protected] or 909-607-2663.
- If you are having technical issues with accessing the test please click the link here: Emmersion Learning Support
If you plan on taking placement exams for more than one language, or if you have a timing conflict with taking a Language Proficiency Test and the Math GE Fulfillment Exam on Wednesday, August 23, contact Becky Ballinger at [email protected] or 909-607-2663.
Accessing the Test
All students must take the online placement test by 11:59 pm on the dates listed below.
- August 15, 2023 (Spanish, French)
- August 21, 2023 (Italian, German)
Links to each test are below:
Questions or Issues
Should you have any technical issues or questions about the assessment, please reach out to Becky Ballinger at [email protected] or 909-607-2663.
Arabic, Korean and Portuguese
Scripps students are eligible to take the following language placement tests at CMC. Please contact the CMC faculty for more information.
The Arabic placement test is on Thursday, August 24,2023 from 8am to 10am PDT, in person at Roberts North 105.
FMI: Contact Professor Prof. Bassam Frangieh
The Korean placement test is on August 24, 2023 from 8am to 10am PDT, in person at Roberts North 102.
FMI: Contact Professor Minju Kim
The Portuguese placement test is on August 24, 2023 from 8am-10am PDT, in person at Roberts North 211.
FMI: Contact Professor Norman Valencia
Ancient Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Latin & Russian
Scripps students are eligible to take language placement tests at Pomona. Click here for more information or to contact Pomona faculty about their exams. You can also reach the Pomona Foreign Language Resource Center by emailing them at [email protected]
Chemistry 029 Placement
CHEM 029, Accelerated General Chemistry, provides an alternative to the mainline version of general chemistry, Basic Principles of Chemistry (CHEM 014 and CHEM 015). CHEM 029 is taught ONLY in the spring semester, and requires the CHEM 029 placement exam and permission of the instructor. While there are no additional formal requirements, students who place into CHEM 029 generally have two (2) years of high school chemistry.
The CHEM 029 placement exam will be available on August 15, 2023. Students will need to register for the exam by emailing Professor Aaron Leconte ([email protected]). Professor Leconte will provide detailed instructions for taking the online exam. The exam is 30 minutes in duration, but students may take up to an hour to complete and upload their exam to Gradescope. Professor Leconte will contact each student about placement in CHEM 029 or CHEM 014 by email within 24 hours and will be available for consultation with the student and/or their academic advisor.
Introduction Sciences at the Keck Science Department
If you are interested in becoming a science or pre-health major, please consider reaching out to a faculty member before enrolling in your first-semester courses. This can help you with choosing the courses that are best for you and your education goals. Please click here for contact information: Intro Science at Keck 2023-2024
Music Lessons and Ensembles Audition Information
Are you interested in joining the choir or taking a music lessons? Please click here for music lessons and audition information: Music Lessons and Ensembles Audition Information
The Scripps Math GE requirement may be satisfied in any one of the following ways:
1. By passing a course at Scripps (either a class from the Math department or an approved statistics class (Psychology, Biology, or Economics departments) or an approved logic class (Philosophy departments).
2. By receiving a 4 or 5, with a corresponding high school course, on either the AP Calculus AB or the AP Calculus BC exam.
3. By scoring sufficiently high on the Math GE Fulfillment Exam to enter Math 30 or a higher-level math course. (The Math GE Fulfillment Exam is administered during Fall Orientation.)
Self Placement : We would encourage any student to take at least one math class while in college. If you have started the calculus sequence (including precalculus), you can self-place into a Calculus course based off your high school preparation. For more information on how to go about this please click here.
GE Fulfillment Exam: A brief Math GE Information Session will take place in Garrison Auditorium at 8:30 AM on August 23, 2023, followed immediately by the Fulfillment Exam. (If you have further questions, we will be at the Academic Open House at 10:30 AM on August 23, 2023.)
If you have a conflict with timing of the Math GE Fulfillment Exam and taking a Language Proficiency Test on Wednesday, August 23, please contact Becky Ballinger, [email protected], or 909-607-2663.
Contact: Professor Chris Towse
Please refer to the FAQ page linked Here for additional information.