Scripps Paves an On-ramp to the Career Network
One of the goals of CP&R is to build networks and develop relationships to help students and graduates transition into and advance in their careers. Members of our external community – alumnae, parents and friends – care passionately about enabling our students to advance their career goals, and collectively they represent and have access to myriad opportunities awaiting our graduates.
Many college career offices are based within Student Affairs. Scripps takes a different approach, aimed at deepening connections and relationships – we have placed CP&R under Institutional Advancement (AI), the area of the College that is most directly and widely involved with relationship building. AI is the central crossroads for Scripps alumnae, parents and friends of the College, and we see this structure as paving a virtual “on-ramp” that connects students directly with members of our network. We believe this allows for wider and deeper direct access to a growing network in all fields.
Services Offered by CP&R
Career Planning & Resources promotes career development by working with students as they envision, formulate, and move toward future goals. We start early – over 90% of first-year students attend a personal orientation with CP&R within their first three weeks on campus.
Among the many services available to students are:
- Individual career counseling
- Job and internship search coaching, including help with resumes, cover letters, interviews, follow-up, networking, and salary negotiation
- Access to the 5-College on-campus recruiting program
- On-Campus Student Employment
- Specialized networking opportunities and events with alumnae and industry experts
- Skill development workshops and mock interviews
- Graduate school directories, workshops, and essay assistance
- Fellowship application assistance
- Individual access to notable online job-search engines, including NACELink/Symplicity, Nationwide Internship Consortium, and Vault
- Computerized interest and personality assessments
- Drop-in hours daily from 10:00am-4:00pm
Recruit at Scripps College
Hiring a Scripps graduate is hiring a woman who thinks analytically, communicates effectively, and makes confident, responsible choices. Flip through Resume Book 2014 for a sample of resumes from the classes of 2013 and 2014.
Life After College
Scripps College graduates are prepared for anything. After graduation, they go on to pursue full-time work, graduate school, fellowships, service, and world travel. Read more »