- B.A. Wellesley College
- M.A., Ph.D. Brandeis University
- American Women Poets (especially Elizabeth Bishop, Edna Millay, Adrienne Rich, and Emily Dickinson
- Religion and Poetry
- Nineteenth-Century Native American Literature
- Feminist Theory
- African American literature and Freud
Selected Research and Publications
- God and Elizabeth Bishop: Meditations on Religion and Poetry. Palgrave, 2005
- Indian Nation: Native American Literature and Nineteenth-Century Nationalisms. Duke University Press, New Americanists Series, 1997
- American Women Poets of the Nineteenth Century An Anthology, Rutgers UP, 1992
- Masks Outrageous and Austere: Culture, Psyche, and Persona in Modern Women Poets, Indiana University Press, 1991
- The Nightingale's Burden: Women Poets and American Culture Before 1900, Indiana University Press, 1983
- ""Sex, Drugs, and Mingling Spirits: Teaching Nineteenth-Century Women Poets"" in Teaching Approaches to Nineteenth-Century American Poetry, edited by Karen Kilcup and Paula Bennett. Modern Language Association Publications, 2006.
- ""Dickinson in Context: Nineteenth-Century American Women Poets"" in A Historical Guide to Emily Dickinson, ed. Vivian Pollak, Oxford University Press, 2003.
- ""Metaphysical Surrealism in the Poetry of Elizabeth Bishop,"" Christianity and Literature, Vol. 48, #1 (Autumn, 1998).
- ""In Bluebeard's Closet: Women Who Write with the Wolves,"" LIT: Literture, Interpretation, Theory, Vol. 7 (1996).
- ""Feminist Literature Criticism and the Author,"" Critical Inquiry, Spring, 1990 (reprinted in Roland Barthes, eds. Gane and Gane, Sage Publications, 2003 and The Death and Resurrection of the Author?, ed. William Irwin, Greenwood, 2002)