Professor of Art History and the Humanities
|Office Address:||Steele 102|
|Office Phone:||(909) 607-3600|
Bruce Coats will be on leave during the spring semester.
- B.A. American History, Rice University
- B.A. Architecture, Rice University
- M.A. Asian Art History, University of California, Berkeley
- A.M. Asian Art History, Harvard University
- Ph.D. Asian Art History, Harvard University
- Asian art history
- Garden history
- 18-19th century European cultural history
Selected Research and Publications
- "Exploring Edo" designed an interactive virtual tour of 18th c. Edo, Japan on display at the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. 1998-99.
- "Dream Window" consulted and wrote for an hour television special on Japanese gardens for the Smithsonian Institution.
- Wrote various articles for magazines, museum exhibition catalogs, the Atlas of World Art, and the Grove Dictionary of Art.
- Chikanobu: Modernity and Nostalgia in Japanese Prints, exhibition and catalogue, 2006.
- "Genji's World in Japanese Woodblock Prints" exhibition and catalog essay, 2012.
- Survey courses on the arts of China and Japan and the history of gardens
- Seminars on Japanese prints and the arts of Late Imperial China
- Core III courses on the Tale of Genji and the European Enlightenment